Well, here I am, Mexico. In a giant luscious Valley called the valley of Mexico. I'm living in the great city of Tenochtitlan right now in a little cottage some nice Aztec family let me live in. It's a brand new house built on a little floating island or a chinampa. Chinampas were the way the Aztecs were able to build such huge city they put pieces of wood to form a little wall. Then they wood fill it with reeds and wood and dirt. They would float and were put together and attached to the mainland to make it almost 5 miles wide! I didn't feel an iota of worry this time! It was great! Until I was called to war...
All men in the Aztec capitol were trained as children to be soldiers. That's kind of hard for me since I teleported here through space and time. I tried to tell the guards who were rounding up soldiers, but they wouldn't listen. There was no chance of me escaping to my limousine in time to time travel back to the present at that point! I was going to have to fight it out. If I were captured though I could be sacrificed and have my heart torn out while I'm still alive or something. I was definitely screwed.
As we marched out of Tenochtitlan across one of the large causeways to some other land I was given a weapon. It was kind of like a sword and kind of like a club. I called it a clord. Some others were given bows and arrows and some of them even weird half spear half club weapons I started calling splubs. Many of the soldiers wore decorated armor and helmets. One of them looked like a lizard and one had a head like a eagle. I assumed these were commanders and war generals or other important warriors. That's when the enemy began cresting over a hill in the horizon. Some enemy culture. These people were ready for war, ready to guard their city with their life. Doubtfully they would push us back. The Aztecs rarely lost. Most wars ended after the first battle and the city would fall into the Aztecs grasp. When this happened though, it really wasn't to bad. In most cases people kept their culture and religion. All they had to do was pay Tenochtitlan and honor the god huitzilopchtli, the sun god.
"I'll stick to the commanders" I decided to myself.
Both sides stood there for hours deciding when to make the first move. After about 5 hours it was almost midnight. The enemy started to look a little droopy eyed and reach for their thermas's. That's when we took our chance. The war cry was yelled and we charged. There was no turning back, even in the heat of battle. I would be shunned and thrown into prison or worse, sacrificed if I turned my back on this fight now. I readied my clord in front of me just in time as the first strike came. Right to the lizard guys head. An arrow brought him to the ground, followed by another and another. There was no saving this man now. He would die honerably though. I had only just turned my head in the other direction when the butt of a massive spear hit me in he head and I collapsed, my sword clattering to the side. I quickly rolled over just as the spear head crashed into the spot I was sitting two seconds before. The shaft shattered and several splinters flew past my cheek. I stood up, tripping the warrior with a swinging leg and bringing him down hard. He held up the remainders of the spear to offer protection, but my clord easily broke it and hit his chestplate so hard he was coughing for air. I thought it was done and I turned away seeking another foe, worst mistake of my life.
I woke with a searing pain in my back. I felt like I'd just been mauled by a bear. The last thing I remember was the coughing man reaching for a wicked looking blade... but then it was blank. I silently cursed myself for being so stupid. I turned my head to see an Aztec sitting there, holding a pair of tweezers. "You're very lucky", he said in the aztec language, nahuatl. "The knife broke at the point and I managed to get it all out except for the tip." Now please let me put you under again so we can finish the operation." I nodded. He knew what he was doing. Before I knew it though everything went black again. Even though I was sleeping, I'd never felt more alive! Somehow, I was rescued and that's all that mattered. I was safe... for now.
clords and splubs must be really weird loking things! i love those names, though.
ReplyDeleteI don't remember any splubs in the textbook...
ReplyDeleteGreat job of subtly describing the city, and telling an exciting war story.
ReplyDelete